Whatever the case, the emotional baggage of this day is enormous. Love, pride, guilt, sense of accomplishment, sense of guilt, shame, remorse, heartache, blame, longing, and unfulfilled expectations are just some of the emotions that women deal with on this day when we celebrate Mothers. Most of the emotions are positive, but if they are negative, then can be really negative. It's common knowledge that mothers have a huge impact on their children and can bless their lives or make their lives very, very difficult. This is messy business. It isn't measurable. It isn't defined. We can't always see the results of our efforts. Mothers often minimize their successes and maximize personal weakness.
I really like this article I read recently entitled "how (and why) to be the meanest mom in the world."
The author suggested the following strategies to work towards the title of being the "meanest mom in the world." She suggests:
1. Make your kids go to bed at a reasonable time.
2. Don’t give your kids dessert every day.
3. Make them pay for their own stuff.
4. Don’t pull strings.
5. Make them do hard things.
6. Give them a watch and an alarm clock.
7. Don’t always buy the latest and greatest.
8. Let them feel loss.
9. Control media. Control media. Control media.
10. Make them apologize.
11. Mind their manners.
12. Make them work — for free.
How can we share the good of this holiday with our own daughters so the next generation of mothers feel the sacredness of their roles without the pressure to be perfect?
My own wonderful four sisters are great examples of these principles. Between us, we have raised 21 children to adulthood (with a couple of teenagers bringing up the rear.) It hasn't always been easy. There have been bumps along the way, but we have all tried our best for the most part to have "a tight grip on loose reins." We knew what to do because we had a mother who taught us how to be mothers. My mom, Mary (and my dad Earl), raised the five of us along with two brothers. We each had different temperaments, different talents and abilities, and we each presented her/them with different challenges as a mother and father We still do! But, she stuck with it and over the years we have shared so many wonderful experiences and we have learned a lot from their examples and teachings. I grew up knowing that my parents had high expectations for me because they LOVED me and BELIEVED in me. I've try to give as good as I got and I thank my mother and her mother before her and her mother before her... for teaching me how to be a good mother. This is a gift that is beyond measure and I thank my mother for being "the meanest mom in the world."

3 comments:
I love this post and agree with everything on it. I just wish I could go back and do some things differently. It's too bad there's not a required parenting course for people to take and pass before they're allowed to be parents!
You are an exquisite mother, Vonnie, and the kids have been the recipient of your love, care, concern, preparation, and ongoing influence in their lives. We love you.
I want a copy of that photo!! I was happy to read that it said make them work for free. My kids have chores and they do not get paid for them! That's part of being a member of the family. You guys are all such good mothers. Love you!
Post a Comment