Sunday, December 15, 2013

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas

After spending two weeks on the road helping/visiting Jordan and Claire and their adorable families, it was time to get home and get to work.  We loved traveling with Andy and Chelsea and having lots of time to visit (more on that later.)  They are such darling newlyweds and we love having them in town so that we can do some things together.
Luckily Rick and I had put up the outdoor Christmas lights on our house before leaving town.  That last Monday, December 2, we put the finishing touches on the lights on the outside bushes and then wham...snow came fast and furiously and the temperature dropped dramatically.  We were so happy we got the outside work done when we did.  Then it was on to decorating inside.  I had the help last year of Janet and Mary Ann who came to down to help me.  I couldn't help but remember what was going on this time last year.  I received my 6th and last chemo treatment on December 5.  I was very worn down by it all and feeling pretty weak and tired (not to mention in pain, nauseated and rung out).  It was so wonderful to have my sisters who weren't working come and lend a hand.  I also got a fresh Christmas tree delivered by my nephew Dustin and honestly, that whole week of kindnesses will NEVER EVER be forgotten.
This year, I was feeling energized, far from nauseated (to the contrary)  and ready to go.  I love getting my Christmas decorations out!  I love the feeling they bring into our home.  I love setting the stage for a month of remembering Christ.
hand carved from Mongolia
hand carved from Zimbabwe
handmade from Alaska
from Peru
From Portugal
From Japan
second from the bottom from Venezuela
Olive wood hand carved from the Holy land
Kid friendly from Fisher Price
I made this ceramic set when we were first married
from South Africa
From Venezuela, Mexico, New Mexico and other places
Willow Tree store bought
Stitched by Jordan
A nativity advent calendar that is 33 years old made by friend Ginger
Various sets from different places
Home for the Holidays!



3 comments:

Lee said...

I love all your fabulous nativities! You have some really neat ones. I love the tradition of collecting them from places you visit.

VFR said...

You do a wonderful job decorating the house for Christmas, Vonnie, and you have such wonderful and obvious enthusiasm for the holiday season. Thanks for the boost at Christmas!

Annie said...

Love.Love.Love!