Saturday, July 6, 2013

40 year reunion...really??

We are all in this together.  We need each other, oh, how we need each other.  Those of us who are old need you are who are young.  And, hopefully, you who are young need some of us who are old.  It is a sociological fact that women need women.  We need deep and satisfying and loyal friendships with each other.  These friendships are a necessary source of sustenance.
Marjorie Pay Hinckley

I got to attend my 40 year high school class reunion last Friday night.  It was wonderful!  Rick was planning to go with me, but at the last minute his dad became ill and he went to help him.  He encouraged me to forge on to Idaho myself to attend the dinner that evening. I'm so glad he did.  I was a little nervous going by myself and seeing people I haven't seen for years, especially since I don't look like I use to (and neither do they!).  As soon as I walked into the door I felt at ease.  We were given name tags with our old high school pictures on them along with our maiden names.  I immediately saw old friends who I haven't seen in years.  I was such a sweet reunion.  We talked and talked, enjoyed dinner, a program and then more visiting afterward.  Our graduating class in 1973 was one of the largest that even graduated from the high school.  It was about 385 students and since it was a county high school, people came from some distance to attend the school.  Someone had prepared a slide show of old pictures from back in the day.  It was fun to see the long hair from the early 70s, the clothes, the prom dresses and some of the activities we use to do.  Title 9 wasn't in effect then, and it was amazing to see that we didn't have very many sports for girls.  It was a walk down memory lane. I haven't seen some of those friends for 20 or more years, since we only have a reunion every 10 years.  It was so fun to find out what they have been doing with their lives.  

The next morning, we had an LDS seminary reunion at the seminary building.  One of our class mates, Bruce N. spoke about directing the new LDS church Bible videos.  It was fascinating!  Again, it was so wonderful to see old friends and to learn about all the good they are doing in the world.  Although we didn't take any pictures, we exchanged email address and promised to "friend" each other on Facebook to stay in touch.  I told them that I'm so proud to be from Rupert, Idaho.  I'm proud of the community, for the values I was taught, for learning to live the "Rupert Way."  I attribute my core values and beliefs not only to my parents and family, but to my neighborhood and community.  I'll be forever grateful for being raised in a farming community with good, down-to-earth people who exemplify the values of what matters  most in life.

 Go Minico Spartans!




2 comments:

Claire said...

Sounds neat and glad you could go. Your school has good colors and mascot.

VFR said...

Come on and fight, Spartans, fight! Come on and show them the way . . .
Rupert is a terrific place, and I'm glad you got indoctrinated in the "Rupert way," and that you have had that strong and true influence growing up and in our family as the kids were growing up.