I didn't expect to be hit with emotion like I was. Neither did Rick. It was overwhelming. I wasn't prepared for it. We couldn't contain the tears. It was a total surprise to me to feel those emotions participating in the annual Susan G. Komen
Race for the Cure event in Salt Lake City last Saturday. I really felt the love and the support of total strangers and my support team. There were
so many people there. More than 10,000 to be exact. Just think of that. 10,000 people who have been affected in some way by breast cancer. 10,000 people who know. 10,000 people who get it. 10,000 people who have seen it up close and personal. And then to think that this walk was just for breast cancer survivors and also to honor those who have lost the battle. What about all the other types of cancer? There would certainly be thousands more representing all those different types of cancer. Cancer is a beast. I hate cancer.
We walked with many people who were in family groups. Some had signs on their backs that said "in memory of Mom or grandma or aunt or sister" or "in memory of __________(fill in a name)" or "celebrating with_________" or "standing with _____________" Some people cried. Some people celebrated. Everyone felt the emotion. It felt good to take off my hat and expose my head and in some ways stand together with those who have been through a similar experience. It's just hard to imagine the human cost and suffering this disease has caused until you see the faces and read the names and look at the staggering numbers of people who are fighting to defeat it. And that is exactly what we did. We raced for the cure.
 |
| Sweet nieces Kate and Maridon. Love you girls! |
 |
| I did last June 22, 2012 and it saved my life. |
 |
| The best supporter a girl could have. |
5 comments:
That's so neat that you could participate in something so meaningful to you. I'm sure this will become an annual tradition.
Go Team Yevon!
We are definitely on your team Mom! I'm sure it was a moving experience, but I'm glad you could participate in it.
No other way to say it than this, Vonnie: You are our inspiration. Thanks for your courage and determination and flat-out good attitude and strength. We all lean on you. We love you.
I'm sad I couldn't be there but it sounds like an amazing day!
Post a Comment