Thursday, December 9, 2010

Keeping Christmas well - Day 7




Count down to Christmas! It's such a fun thing to do.
30 years ago our neighbor and friend Ginger Lantz designed the darling and ingenious little advent calendar seen above with the dark green fabric. It has been a favorite family activity through all these years and our kids loved counting down to Christmas using the nativity calendar. The scene builds until finally the Christ child arrives on Christmas day.
As our kids have left home to start homes of their own, they have requested that I make them their own advent calendar so they they can enjoy it with their spouses and/or kids. I made one for Jord and Jake their first Christmas with Lauren, and this year I made two more for Claire and Rich and Dave and Courtney. We put the finishing touches on Courtney and Dave's calendar when we were down there visiting a month ago. Courtney did a great job of coloring the individual pieces and in printing the lettering and assembling the whole thing. She reports that she and Dave hurry to get up in the morning in order to be the first to put on the next piece. I'd say that is keeping Christmas well and anticipating the arrival of baby Jesus on Christmas morning!

1 comment:

VFR said...

That is a wonderful tradition, Vonnie. Thanks for keeping it going.