Sunday, December 5, 2010

Keeping Christmas well - Day 4

What would Christmas be without Christmas music? How could we keep Christmas well if we couldn't listen to the spiritually moving sounds of Handel's Messiah or the sacred Christmas hymns that speak of Christ's birth sung with faith and conviction? I'm often moved to tears listening to these stirring pieces.
Attending Christmas concerts is a very important part of our Christmas traditions. It just wouldn't seem like Christmas if we couldn't attended the annual Messiah sing along at Abravanel Hall with the Utah Symphony, or attend the BYU Celebration of Christmas with the choruses and philharmonic orchestra. We've attended the Kurt Bestor concert for many years. Last night we got to hear David Lanz perform at the Covey center and we enjoyed his special sound and arrangements on the piano. The Mormon Tabernacle Choir will put on their annual concert in a couple of weeks and this year David Archuleta will be the guest performer. Listening to Christmas music on Pandora at work, on Sirus XM in the car or enjoying our collection of CDs at home is so enjoyable to me. I love the spiritual, the contemporary and even the fun and silly pieces.

There is so much music out there to enjoy! Sacred Christmas music lifts the spirits and enlarges the soul. I love to sing Christmas carols and to be exposed to some new pieces.



This piece that was new to me. It's called Nativity Carol by John Rutter. We heard it at BYU yesterday and then I found this excellent performance of the same song on You Tube by the King's College Choir at Cambridge. Enjoy!

1 comment:

VFR said...

I think the sacred music of Christmas,the reflection on the birth of the Savior and His life, and the wonderful association with family and friends are the best parts, by far, of the Christmas season. Thanks for the reminder, Vonnie.