My mom's husband David died and she moved back to Utah. Her dementia shifted into high gear.
We got two new grandchildren: Margaret and Tommy
Andy married Chelsea in the Los Angeles LDS temple
I retired from working at BYU after 25 years
My sister Carol lost her husband Robert to a brain tumor
Our country lost the chance for Mitt Romney to be our president
Rick and I finished our goal of visiting all 50 states
Jake was diagnosed with brain cancer, went through all kinds of treatments and died on April 23, 2016
I learned many lessons through that trial and those lessons have not been lost as the years of good health have continued. I value life more. I feel more gratitude. I'm grateful that advancements have been made in breast cancer treatments and that the drug Herceptin is on the market as a target therapy drug to treat aggressive cancers like mine. I value relationships more. I value time on earth more. I value people more and recognize the contributions they have made and continue to make in my life. I understand the great good that comes from reaching out to people in need and serving, as I try and pay it forward. I realize that my trials are small compared to some people and by helping them with their challenges, it lessens by own burdens. I trust God more and know that ultimately whatever happens will be for my good and that all trials bring the opportunity to learn and grow if we let them. I love my husband more and appreciate him and his love for me. Our love, friendship and appreciation for one another is stronger.
Every year I go in to the cancer doctors for check ups and every year that I get a good report I am grateful that I get more time to enjoy life and all the opportunities it affords. Life is good.
2 comments:
Congrats on your 4 year annivers-happy!
I hear we both partied at Mack Park this evening! I'm so sorry I didn't get to give you a hug. Enjoy your family time.
And we love you more, Vonnie, if that is possible. Thanks for your amazing example to us all.
vfr
Post a Comment