I've given my blog various birthday treats over the years. She and I aren't big chocolate lovers, so she has received some delicious non-chocolate treats. 2008 was her birth, 2009 she received a birthday cake, 2010 a caramel cheesecake, 2011 a lemon cupcake, 2012 Key Lime pie, 2013 Creme brûlée with fresh fruit, 2014 a rootbeer float and this year for her birthday I gave Vonnierom some delicious caramel corn.
This recipe is my favorite. It is the only one I've made for years. It's soft and chewy and very addictive. Don't say I didn't warn you.
- 1 cup (or so) popcorn kernels, popped (I usually pop three batches on my stove top or in the microwave. I don't use bagged microwave popcorn.)
- 1 cup butter
- 2 1/2 cups light or dark brown sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 14-oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Get out the biggest bowl you have. This makes a large batch. If you don't want a large batch, cut the recipe in half. As the popcorn pops, pour it out on a dishtowel and separate the old maids from the popped kernels. Everyone who eats the caramel popcorn will thank you.
Combine, the butter, brown sugar, and corn syrup in a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir occasionally until butter is melted and mixture is smooth. Increase the heat to medium high and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring constantly. The mixture should turn a darker color. Remove from heat and add the sweetened condensed milk, and vanilla extract. Stir until smooth. Pour over the popcorn and stir to evenly coat the popcorn. The caramel popcorn is best served immediately, but you can also store it in an airtight container for up to several days.




1 comment:
Happy birthday to the blog, Vonnie. It has been, and is, inspirational, informational, inspiring, and wonderful. You have done a great job of educating, motivating, humoring, and helping us move forward in our lives. We all owe you a debt of gratitude for a job well done. Thanks for the blog. Keep it going. Keep up the good work!
vfr
Post a Comment