On July 2, 2012 my life changed. I found out that I am that 1 in 8 women who will get or already has breast cancer. It's a jarring realization to know that I actually have breast cancer. It's a humbling realization. It's a journey through unknown experiences and procedures that will take my body to the limit and bring it back again, all to eradicate this little devil known as breast cancer. It's a journey that will take over my life for the next year and it will more than likely be something on the back burner for the rest of my life. It changes things. It brings new perspectives and it takes everyone who loves you along for the ride.
I haven't felt panic. Or fear. Or anger. I've felt some dread for what lies ahead, but that comes and goes. I've mostly felt peace and calm. I have the overwhelming sense that I'll be OK. I have been blessed to feel the love of God and to feel the peace that comes knowing that many loved ones are sending prayers heavenward in my behalf. I haven't once thought "why me?" I've actually thought "why NOT me?" This may prove to be a refining process and I hope to be up to the challenge.

5 comments:
Oh no. Dear sweet Yevon. I'm so sorry. How is it that YOUR words give others comfort, when OTHERS should be giving you comfort? That's just the kind of person you are. Good. Good to the core. You are loved!
Please keep us posted on your journey. I will pray for you and your doctors.
Thanks, Vonnie, for your courage, your grace, and your positive influence, even with this news. This may be a rough patch, but you will be an inspiration for so many through this fight. You will be okay. We love you, and support you, and consider you our hero.
You can do it Vonnie! You can beat this! I love your positive attitude and I will continue to send prayers and happy thoughts your way. Love you!
Stacey told me a little bit ago. We are sorry you have to go through this trial, but we are sure the Lord will be with you. Sending our love and support.
You are truly a noble and wonderful person Mom and honestly, if you need refinement, what's in store for the rest of us? I love you and am so grateful for the faith with which you've faced this challenge.
Post a Comment