Sunday, July 8, 2012

Sweet land of liberty





I've said this before and I'll say it again, I absolutely LOVE the 4th of July!  Maybe it's because of being raised in Rupert where our parents celebrated the holiday in a big way.  Maybe it's because I love to celebrate the birthday of our country because it means so much to me.  Maybe it's because I love to throw a big party and have our family members come and play and chat and eat.  Maybe it's because of all of the above.
This year three of our four kids weren't able to come home, so we forged ahead with those who could make it.  Instead of a crowd of 75 or so, we had a crowd of 20.  My sister Carol who has come for years wasn't able to make it either (and she and her family were missed.)  We had a great time with Rick's family including his sister Robyn and her husband Bob who came from CA, brother Doug's family, and sister Margie with her "surprise" guest Grant and three of their four kids.  The morning of the 4th Rick and Andy ran the Provo 10k and then we went to the parade with those who could make it, including niece Syd, Adam and Rafe. After that we headed home for our BBQ complete with the same menu that we eat every year (and love it!)  We finish up with homemade ice-cream and then go swimming.  Afterwards we clean up a bit, rest and get ready for Stadium of Fire.  This year did not disappoint.  The BEACH BOYS gave a great concert and we loved the show.  We fall into bed at the end of the day, grateful for our great nation and the freedoms and liberties we enjoy. It's a day chock full of family, reminders of freedom and good food and fun.  What could be better than that?




3 comments:

VFR said...

It was a great day. We love the 4th of July, and we have a wonderful day each time. Thanks, Vonnie, for all you do to continue this great tradition.

teamZ said...

I love a BIG celebration on the 4th too, but this year I shook up my menu( kabobs not hamburgers and hot dogs)

Jord said...

Looks like a great day Mom. You guys set the standard for the 4th and I love the celebration!