Tuesday, September 18, 2018

The people

Traveling to a different country really does expand the mind and heart and gives new perspective and appreciation for people and cultures very different from our own.  I loved just taking it all in, listening to different languages spoken all around us as we mixed and mingled with pilgrims from all over the world who came to visit this Holy Land.  I'm a "noticer."  I pay attention to my surroundings and to details around me.  My husband thinks it is one of my gifts (and sometime a curse.)  It came in handy on this trip as I was able to take in the sights, smells, vistas and small details of the ancient places we visited.  But most of all, I loved watching the people.  Muslims, Jews, Christians, Armenians and many others as we walked the streets of the places we visited.  I didn't want to be too obnoxious and take pictures of too many people without their consent, but I did get a few good shots.  Mostly, I was struck by how well all these different cultures and religions get along.  Yes, there are exceptions and fanatics on both side of the various conflicts, but I noticed that most people were respectful and kind and we had some wonderful conversations with them as we traveled along our way.
People from all over the world at
the River Jordan being baptized (again?)

They were so happy!

Christian nuns worshipping at the Church of St. Anne's

St. Anne, who Catholics worship as the mother of Mary

Our Muslim shop keeper who sold us all kinds of olive
 wood souvenirs. He knew how to work us!
 Look at the BYU flag.
 He also had a U of U flag and a USU one too. 

Devout Jewish men headed to Shabbat outside of their synagog

We saw hundreds of Israeli soldiers walking the city streets
of Jerusalem carrying their machine guns
every where they went.  Men and women alike. 

A typical scene in the courtyard near the hotel where we stayed.


The traditional site of the birth of Jesus in Bethlehem. 
People from all over the world were waiting in line
and then pushing and shoving to get near and touch the spot.



I typical little boy growing impatient as
his Muslim mother visits with her friends.

A period costume man posing with tourists for pictures.

The priest who open the gate to let us in to tour the Garden of Gethsemane.
Visiting the Nazareth settlement and interacting with the people there


2 comments:

Eileen said...

What a fascinating trip!

Rombom Roost said...

You need to admire the people, both Christians, Jews, and Muslims, who are devout, practicing religious people who seek peace and mutual tolerance.

vfr