Sunday, April 17, 2016

As the end of Jake's life draws near



This talk give by Elder Paul Johnson gave me great comfort at the last general conference.  As Jake lives out his last few days of life, I'm so grateful for the knowledge we have of the plan of salvation. We know where we came from, why we are here on earth and what we are suppose to do - knowing that we will be tested and tried to see if we will remain true to Jesus Christ and his teachings. Depending on how valiant we are in that effort of staying true to Christ, we know where we are going.  Attending our temples and making and keeping sacred covenants will further determine our future happiness.

Jake and Jordan have all these important steps in place.  In their short 12 years of married life (their anniversary is three weeks from today) they have made choices and kept covenants that have placed them and their family squarely on the path of eternal life.  Together.  As a family.  They have accomplished in 12 short years what takes many of us years to accomplish.  And they do it with a grateful, if not heartbroken, heart.  They get it.  They know the plan.  They have faith in the plan. Their courage and determination to hold fast to what they KNOW to be true carries them.

I'm so grateful to Jake for being courageous.  He hasn't complained or murmured.  He has accepted this terrible burden that has been placed on his shoulders and has done his very best to help his family prepare for the future without him and ultimately, his death.  He is a true believer in God and His son and his belief strengthens our belief. His testimony of Christ is at the core of his being. He is at the center of the calm that is felt in their home.

I'm grateful for Jordan and I'm so extremely proud of the way she has come to accept and carry, as best she can, this terrible challenge and ultimate loss of her dear husband.  Her example of strength and faith has influenced hundreds through her blog and the sharing of their journey.  She has sought the power of the atonement through prayer, fasting and faith and is finding the strength necessary to lose the one things she values most in life.  Her dear Jacob.

I'm grateful for four little children who are doing the best they can at their tender ages to understand the cope with the loss of their dad.  Their childlike faith is simple and yet strong and they know that their Heavenly Father loves them, as does their dear father Jake.  That great outpouring of love will give them strength to cope better in the days ahead with the help of their mother, and many others who love them dearly.

I'm grateful for all the good people who have inquired about Jake and who have reached out and helped their family through this past two years and three months.  Thousands of prayers have gone heavenward for this little family.  Fasting, temple prayer roll and many other helps and services have been offered for this family.  Words can't express the gratitude I feel for scores of good people.

I'm grateful that Jake's parents could rent an apartment and stay in Phoenix to be near Jordan and Jake and their family.  Their love and support is invaluable and we all appreciate their love and concern as they have rendered daily service. May they also feel of our love for them and their wonderful family as they prepare to say goodbye to their dear son and brother.

I'm grateful to my husband, my children and their spouses who have drawn closer together as we have pleaded to the Lord in prayer to send strength, comfort and peace to this family.

And I'm grateful to God.  As I've said before, I trust Him.  I don't understand all His ways or the reasons for why things happen, but I trust Him.  I know that ALL things will be made right through Christ.  I'm trying to be still...and find God to strengthen me and those I love through the power of his son's marvelous atonement.


2 comments:

Vonnie said...

Thank you, Vonnie, for putting into words what we all feel, and giving us hope at this most difficult time. We know that we are children of Heavenly Father, and that He loves us. He provided a Savior for us, who gave His life so that we could come back to Heavenly Father. I am so grateful to Jake and Jordan who have been exemplary in every respect and have followed the Lord all the way through. Thanks to you and everyone for their kindness, their prayers, their fasting, and their faith.

vfr

Unknown said...

This made me teary eyed. I have been privileged to have witnessed more faith, love and courage through Jake, Jord, their kids and extended family than I think I've ever witnessed before. My thoughts and prayers are with them and you all continually.