Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Sunny Arizona

After spending 10 days in Arizona during January, I can definitely see why the Arizonans love living there.  What's not to love about 70 degree days with these beautiful sights?  I took a walk almost every morning around the neighborhood and these are just some of the desert beauties that I saw. Living in a warm, sunny climate really does help to lift one's spirits.  I just wouldn't want to live there in the summer time.  Snow birds have the right idea!













My purpose for going wasn't just for pleasure and to escape our Utah winter (although that was a very nice added bonus.)  Jordan asked me to come down and help while Jake underwent his next brain surgery.  Without going into great detail, I'll just say again that I marvel at the courage, wherewithal, fortitude and strength of this young couple.  They have traveled this road before with previous surgeries, so they know what works best for them and what is really helpful in managing the surgery day and the care of their children.  Jake's wonderful parents John and Barbara came down as well and together the three of us took the reigns.  
I sat with Jordan at the hospital the day of the surgery.  It was a very long day.  We chatted, rested, read, ate snacks prepared by her thoughtful SIL Jessica and walked around.  The hospital provided a waiting room for all the waiting families with a beeper and they periodically gave updates as to what was going on with the patients.  A nurse also went between the operating room and the waiting room and gave updates. There were many people in the waiting room that day while their loved ones underwent neurological surgeries. I think Jordan is wise to keep her immediate support group small. That way she doesn't have to worry about supporting the supporters.  She can conserve her strength to support Jake and to get through the stressful experience herself.  She is a smart girl.
Jake came through the surgery and spent the next couple of days in the hospital with Jordan by his side. Barbara, John and I took turns visiting and shuttling the kids around, doing some chores and errands around the house.  It became a working vacation as we worked in the house and yard and took care of things while Jordan and Jake were gone.  I think it helped the children to have their grandparents there with them for those few days.  Nonetheless, the children were so happy to see their parents return home on Friday afternoon.



Jordan and Jake then spent the weekend sleeping and recuperating physically and emotionally. Friends brought over some meals and generally helped out where they could.  A friend named Juan came over and replaced the brake pads on their car.  Several other friends brought flowers.  Everyone respected their need for rest and quiet over the weekend.  Once Jake was stable, John and Barbara headed home and I stayed on to help Jordan start to prepare for their move.
That's right!  They are going to move back to Utah when school is out in June.  She doesn't want to move anything they don't need so we started the task of going through drawers, closets and such to clean out and organize.  I shopped for groceries, shuttled the school kids, made lunches, made dinners, did laundry and generally tried to relieve her of her duties so that she could make some progress on move preparation.  
I got to spend some time with each child.  Tommy and I had a great adventure at the mall riding the little train and the carrousel.  I also got to attend Lauren's choir concert.  I love these precious little grandchildren and the opportunity I have to tell them stories, go on bikes rides, play on the trampoline, play games with them, listen to them practice the piano and this time Lauren asked me to teach her how to crochet and to write in cursive.








My love for this sweet family knows no bounds.  I loved being useful to them.  I loved serving and feeling needed.  It felt good to work hard.  I learned to cook some new recipes that were delicious. They are very healthy eaters and it was good try some new recipes that I will use again.  





Jake will have surgery follow-up this week and then we'll find out more about what happens next. We are praying specifically that he will hold steady and do well and that he can help his family relocate back to Utah. Jordan and Jake carry an unbelievably heavy load.  But they continue on with faith.  It does break my heart to see up close the burden they carry with the unknown future.  It is just very hard to see this dear family face this challenge. I've also witnessed them being strengthened to be able to carry the load they have been given.  Thousands of prayers in faith have gone to heaven in their behalf and have made all the difference.  Overall, a sense of calm and resolve exists in their home. 
In Arizona anyway, the sun is out, the skies are blue and God is in charge.   

4 comments:

Eileen said...

Dearest Yevon. My heart hurts for you and your sweet and perfect family. What a very un-fun card to be dealt. I admire and applaud your courage and strength. Love, Eileen
Cancer still SUCKS!

Andy said...

you are a good mother

Unknown said...

Nothing better than being in AZ in the wintertime. So glad you could be there to help out and support Jake and Jordan. They continue to be in my daily prayers. I'm so excited they're moving to Provo! That is the best news ever.

Vonnie said...

Thanks for the thorough and detailed report, Vonnie. You have captured the essence and more, and we appreciate knowing what you know. The Robertsons are terrific, and our prayers continue to be with them all the time. It is gratifying to hear of those who continue to help them.

vfr