This article was recently published in the Deseret News. It is so interesting to me. Rick and I are both grateful that our parents encouraged us to take piano lessons. He became much more proficient in playing the piano than I did and he also learned to play the clarinet. It is probably due to this early training in music that he became great at memorizing. It was interesting to learn that the process of learning to play the piano has intellectual benefits. Also, listening to music, especially classical music is "somewhat magical in its ability to teach and reach, enhancing learning and building enduring skills." The earlier the lessons, the stronger the connections.
Sing together
Teach children simple songs
Beat out rhythm
Play classical music in the background at home
Spent 20-30 minutes a day reading together
Put lessons or memorization of lists or concepts into songs
Sing songs that combine words with actions
Besides increasing learning abilities in children and adults, music has the ability to bond us together as communities. Supporting the arts in our local communities is something I'm passionate about. I do believe that music is an intrinsic part of a well-rounded, high quality life.
I'm so happy to see our children teaching their children music appreciation. Our daughter Jordan is a Let's Play Music teacher in her area and she is teaching music skills and appreciation to her own children and many others she invites into her home each week. Our daughter Claire and DIL Courtney are great at reading to their children, singing with them and and teaching them little songs and rhymes. They all have musical toys to make music and rhythms and sounds. Our SIL R is a great classical music lover as well. I'm so glad that music is a big part of the lives of our grandchildren because I think it will benefit them greatly in their lives.
And don't be alarmed if a kid shows a poor attitude along the way! It's all good! She is as smart as a whip, so music appreciation must have helped her somehow!


2 comments:
I enjoyed watching what Jord does with her music lessons. She's awesome at it! What a great little side job for her. I'm very impressed with how cute she was w/ the kids and how fun she makes the class.
Musical training should probably not be optional, but required. I am convinced that musical training helps out the intellect, and is quite "magical" in the development of skills that are useful in many other ways. Thanks to moms everywhere for making unwilling kids practice the piano and other instruments. They know what they are doing.
vfr
Post a Comment