Monday, June 16, 2014

35 years and counting

I've always loved Sundance Resort.  My sister Janet and I took a BYU ski class there in 1975.  I broke my femur at this resort the same year.  I later returned to ski there with our kids and to enjoy the summer outdoor theater a few times with Rick.  We have gone to other places nearby including Timp Lodge and Aspen Grove many times over the years with church groups or work groups.  The canyon and surrounding areas are beautiful on the east side of majestic Mt. Timpanogos.  We've hiked to Stewart Falls with different groups of people at least a dozen times.  It is so close to our home, but it seems like it is so far away.  It is like visiting a mountain resort in a far away state.
When we were making plans for our 35th wedding anniversary, I told Rick that I would like to go to Sundance for dinner and an overnighter.  It was a relaxing get-away complete with good food, a cozy fireplace and a nice cup of hot chocolate out on the porch of our lovely room.  The decor is rustic and the scents are very earthy.  The ambiance is fantastic. The decorations have a Native American flair and the Tree Room has some impressive Native American baskets, rugs and Kachina dolls.  Our wonderful kids and their spouses treated us to dinner and we appreciated their love and support.
Unbeknownst to one another, Rick and I had each written a list of 35 things we appreciated/loved about each other.  As we took turns reading our lists to one another, it was a great walk down memory lane with a lot of laughs and happy, grateful tears and and a great way to recharge ourselves for the good years that lie ahead.
I appreciate and love my husband.  I am one lucky girl to have a good man by my side who knows me so well, who loves me in spite of my faults and who is my greatest champion.  Without getting too personal, let's just say that I did well all those years ago in saying YES to the man I married on June 16, 1979.  Happy Anniversary VFR!







1 comment:

VFR said...

I love you, Vonnie, more now than I did when we married, and look forward to forever together. Thanks for the post, and more thanks for the wife, mother,and grandmother that you are.