Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Good Housekeeping


Last year when I flew out to help our girls when they both had new babies, I picked up a Good Housekeeping magazine at the airport. I hadn't read one in years and I was pleasantly surprised. The magazine had a good variety of interesting articles, self helps, organization ideas, and decorating and cooking ideas that I really enjoyed. Inside the magazine was a card for a subscription for a year for a measly $10. I couldn't pass it up, so I sent in the subscription. When Christmas came around I thought my girls might enjoy reading Good Housekeeping as well, so I offered them a subscription. Jord and Courtney responded right away that they would enjoy one, and Claire eventually let me know that she would like to try one as well. So, I got them all subscriptions. Since they are all homemakers, I hope they can find some tips and tricks to help them in their homes. When we went to CA to visit when Elder E. came back from his mission, I took my latest copy of the magazine. My sister-in-law Robyn saw it and commented that she liked the magazine but didn't often buy it. I offered her a subscription for her birthday and actually got a THREE year subscription online for a mere $20. In the first place, how can Good Housekeeping sell their magazine so cheaply? Second question is, why didn't I think of this before? I think giving a magazine subscription is a great gift idea since most women like to read magazines. The trick is finding out which ones they enjoy.

Here are some interesting facts about Good Housekeeping magazine:
  • the have a great web site with lots of additional information here.
  • they triple test all the recipes they publish in the magazine and online. You can access any recipe they have published over the years online. They test the recipes by cooking them in real kitchens with everyday utensils and using different appliances to make sure that they work under almost all conditions.
  • the "Good Housekeeping Seal" is an endorsement of various products. This is what it means to food and appliances that have the seal - "WE PROMISE This is Good Housekeeping's LIMITED WARRANTY: If any product that bears our Seal or is advertised in this issue* (with certain exceptions described below) proves to be defective within two years from the date it was first sold to a consumer by an authorized retailer, we, Good Housekeeping, will replace the product or refund the purchase price. This policy covers you, the consumer, whether you bought the product or it was given to you (by the buyer). Products that bear the Green Good Housekeeping Seal have been assessed by Good Housekeeping in accordance with Good Housekeeping's environmental criteria and are also subject to the limited warranty if proven to be defective." Wow, that's quite a promise.
  • The magazine has good common sense helps with recipes, cooking and entertaining, house and home ideas, diet and health, style and beauty, and family and relationships. They have some interesting articles and stories and great photography and writing.
  • The magazine is celebrating it's 125th anniversary. That's amazing! A women's magazine that has been published every year since 1885 must have something to offer women to have that much staying power.
  • A year's subscription only costs $7.97 for 12 issues when paying online! Wow, what a deal.

2 comments:

Jord said...

It is a good one and I've liked having it so far. They suggested cooking and freezing beans, so there is one more thing for the freezer.

Vonnie said...

You definitely have the Good Housekeeping seal of approval, Vonnie. Thanks for the good housekeeping you do. Love you.

vfr